*** Submissions are closed for 2017 ***
We are a group of local artists, professional and emerging, who want to build a vibrant arts community. By creating this tour, we hope to promote visual arts within our community, increase visibility of our local artists, and inspire those around us. From traditional painters, photographers, glass artists, potters, to mixed media artists, our tour offers something for everyone. Creating an exceptional art experience is very important to us, which is why we created this unique opportunity to meet our featured artists in their studios, learn about their creative processes first hand and purchase original works of art directly from the maker.
Defining the Neighbourhood
NEST is a walkable neighbourhood studio tour and as such, all studios must reside in the boundaries of New Edinburgh.
We hold a few spots each year for guest artists who can showcase their work in the studio of a New Edinburgh artist, friend, or neighbourhood gallery. Please specify on the application if you have an address in New Edinburgh to participate in the tour or if you require placement with one of our artists or galleries.
We are specifically seeking high end jewellery makers and ceramic artist to join our tour.
Conditions of Entry
All artist applicants must be juried in. A panel of current NEST members acts as the selection jury. Entries may be submitted electronically by clicking the link below to complete the application form. New applicants should submit their work by March 1st 2017 to be included in this year’s tour. Submissions received after March 1st, 2017 will be considered only if space is available. The admission of new artists is by the unanimous vote of the jury.
Participating artists must:
- Produce original fine art, jewellery or ceramic work
- Have a substantial body of work with a minimum of 10 pieces on display for the tour.
- Confirm your participation no later than March 31, 2017
- Pay the annual entry fee due March 31, 2017
- Contribute to the promotion of NEST (at the very minimum promoting and posting on social media and emailing your mailing list)
- Donate a small piece of work for a door prize (think small – perhaps a sketch or colour study? If you are unable to provide something tangible, consider offering a discount on a future purchase or unique opportunity (coaching session, live one on one painting demonstration etc).
- The applicant must be the designer, creator and producer of the artwork sold during the tour.
- Work exhibited and sold during the tour must reflect the work presented to the jury in the application.
- The artist is expected to share promotional materials through his/her own website, social networks and email invites.
- Studio must be manned by the artist for the duration of the tour (exception to shared gallery space).
- The artist is responsible for all insurance, liabilities and costs incurred for his/her location.
- The artist must show professionalism in his/her conduct and subscribe to the goals and objectives of the tour.
- The artist is encouraged to enlist the help of friends/family or volunteers for extra help in the studio.
- The NEST welcomes each artist to provide live demonstrations and/or visual representation of his/her artistic processes to the public (not mandatory).
- Kindly respect the New Edinburgh Studio Tour and fellow artists by adhering to the criteria stated above.
Deadline to apply
Deadline to apply is March 1st, 2017. Successful applicants will be notified mid March 2017.
NEST has tiered participation fees for contributing artists and non-contributing artists. Artist fees are due March 31, 2017. Regardless of role, all participating artists are expected to promote the event through their network.
Contributing artist fee is $150.00 (small role in helping with sponsors, poster distribution, social media etc…)
Non-contributing artist fee is $225
All submissions must include:
- Portfolio of 5 images in jpeg format or via your web site. If sent by email, please size JPG images between 100-300KB. JPG File Names should include: your name (1st initial & surname) + year produced + image name or # + media + size) and be available to use as promotion of the NEST tour. Work must have been created within the last two years.
- A list of included images
- Application form